How to download and install the TikTok app on iPhone
TikTok is a social network for creating short videos with music, available for all smartphones, tablets based on Android and iOS operating systems. In the browser version, the application is presented in a very limited format, but in mobile software stores it breaks all records for the number of installations.
In the proposed material, we will analyze one of the most popular questions that most new users of this media platform have – how to download Tik Tok to iPhone.
TikTok is a global video community where users can find short videos to their liking or share highlights from their lives with everyone.
Main functionalities of Tik Tok iOS:
- view clips created by other users around the world;
- elements of a social network: subscribing to interesting profiles, communicating with friends using the built-in chat, the ability to like your favorite videos and leave comments;
- an extensive library of free tracks in all genres for overlay on video;
- creating and processing your own videos through the built-in video editor with many masks, effects, filters;
- availability of additional tools for viewing profile statistics, so that in the future the user can promote their content, increase subscribers, etc.
Tik Tok is available for free download on iPhones, iPad through the App Store, as well as on Android smartphones from Samsung, Xiaomi and other manufacturers through the Play Market.
TikTok iPhone app
The social network TikTok has a convenient, laconic interface, fully translated into Russian. After opening the application, the user is greeted by the window itself with the playing video and the navigation bar with sections:
- Home. Videos from the recommendation feed are played here, as well as new items from subscribed users.
- Interesting. This section is dedicated to trending videos, popular hashtags, topics. A search bar is also available to search for profiles, videos and music.
- Create Clip. This is a button to go to the video editor, with which you can shoot your own video, edit it and publish it on the platform.
- Inbox. Through this section, you can see the reactions of people to your videos, comments, see who subscribed to the profile, and more.
- “I”. The profile itself is displayed here – the number of subscribers, subscriptions, the feed of published videos, the list of saved videos, etc.
Users note that TikTok is very similar in design to Instagram. But this is the only similarity between the two platforms. By the main audience, by functionality, they are fundamentally different.
The most popular version of the original Tik Tok is the Chinese Musically app, which:
- an improved mechanism for recognizing faces, their emotions, facial expressions is used;
- the catalog contains a large number of music, video and media files;
- wider possibilities of using the media studio for creative creation have been introduced.
In addition, the service is adapted to work with the WeChat messenger, which allows you to download files to other devices.
“Lightweight” TikTok is available only in the Play Store, that is, the application is available only for owners of phones running Android OS. It differs from the fully functional Lite version:
- size (the application weighs no more than 50 MB);
- video playback speed (TikTok Lite doesn’t have a preload feature, so it takes longer to load);
- functionality (the “lightweight” version lacks a live stream function and a video editor that allows you to shoot videos and upload them to the page).
Thus, the Lite version of the social network is perfect for owners of devices with a small amount of memory and for the category of users who do not publish their videos, cheat likes, preferring to follow the work of other people.
In order to download and use Tik Tok on iPhone smoothly, the smartphone must meet the following technical requirements of the application:
- Have an Apple ID and the latest software such as the iTunes Store or App Store.
- Uninterrupted internet connection.
- Operating system – iOS version 9.3 and newer. Please note that iOS 7.1.2 – the version listed on other sites – is no longer supported.
- At least 300 MB of free space in the device memory.
Note. The smartphone model can be anything from the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus to the iPhone 12 and 12 Pro released in 2020. Only after checking the smartphone for compatibility with TikTok can you start downloading the application and working with the site.
Registration in TikTok is available to persons aged 13 and older (additional restrictions (+18) may be set for users from a number of countries). If the account owner is younger than the specified age, the developer has the right to terminate the account of this user without being able to unblock access to the functionality.
Where to download
The only source of content for owners of Apple devices is the developer’s AppStore. The company has put a ban on downloading application files from third-party services, sites and forums like w3bsit3-dns.com, which can only be bypassed with the help of a jailbreak – in fact, hacking the device. It entails a lot of problems, up to the failure of the gadget, as well as the loss of the ability to update the OS and take advantage of the warranty service for free.
Installing TikTok on an iPhone is carried out in two stages: first, an Apple ID account is created (if it has not been created earlier), then the application itself is downloaded.
Next, let’s take a closer look at each stage.
Create Apple ID
An Apple ID is required to sign in to the iTunes and App Store online stores, and other Apple services such as iCloud.
To create an account:
- Open the App Store and click on the login button.
- Select “Create New Apple ID” and follow the instructions on the screen. The email address provided will become the new Apple ID.
- Enter credit card details and billing address (you can skip this step), click Finish.
- Confirm the phone number, click “Next”.
- Checking your inbox for a letter from Apple to verify your email address.
After confirming their email address, a person can use their Apple ID (account) to go to AppStor and then download Tik Tok.
How to install
To install Tik Tok on iPhone:
- Go to the App Store.
- Go to the “Search” section and enter the name of the application in Russian or English into the search box.
- To the right of the name of the found program there will be a “Download” icon with a cloud and an arrow. Click on it to start installing Tik Tok on your smartphone.
This instruction is also relevant for Apple tablets – iPads.
The functionality of TikTok is available to both authorized users and those who do not want or cannot for any reason create their own account. However, in this case, the scenario for using the application will be slightly different.
Do I need to register
An unregistered user gets full access to the recommendation feed, which plays the most popular videos on the site. Only he does not have access to a feed based on preferences and queries. Also, people who do not have their own account cannot save videos, publish their content.
It is very easy to register for the service:
- After opening the application, click on the little man icon in the lower right corner of the screen.
- We choose a convenient way of registration: via e-mail (mobile phone) or an account of another social network.
- Follow the instructions on the screen: enter the requested data and confirm the registration.
The entire procedure for creating an account at Tik Tok takes no more than 2 minutes. After that, the user gets full access to the platform’s capabilities.
Working with the application
As mentioned earlier, the key capabilities of the site in question are reduced to the design of your own profile and the publication of the created videos. These two aspects of Tik Tok are worth considering in more detail.
Create a profile
After registering an account, the user can design his profile: choose a name, add an avatar and a description to the page, as well as link accounts of other social networks to Tik Tok – Instagram, Youtube.
An important part of creating a profile is changing your privacy settings. You can specify which users can send you messages, shoot duets with your personal ones, comment on your videos and perform other actions with your page in the “Settings and privacy” section.
In order to create a video, the user needs to click on the “+” button on the navigation bar. The screen will display the image transmitted from the camera lens, as well as a menu for changing the image by applying effects and filters. Here you can also select music, set a timer to start recording and adjust the video speed.
TikTok on iPhone
You can also upload content that was filmed and edited in a third-party application. To do this, just click on the “Download” icon next to the record button. The “Gallery” will appear on the screen, where the user can select a video to publish.
The last screen that appears before the publication of the video contains the post settings – this is where the user can add a description, indicate who can view the video, as well as enable or disable comments, duets, stitching. In addition, in this menu you can find the item “Save to device” (“Save video”), when activated, the published video will be immediately downloaded to the smartphone’s memory.
By the way. An unpleasant feature of this method of saving your own videos is the presence of a watermark indicating the application and username. It is impossible to remove unnecessary inscriptions using regular means. This is where third-party applications and Telegram bots come to the rescue.
Updates and issues
When using Tik Tok, few people did not encounter problems inside the application and the need to update the program. Therefore, further we will consider the issues related to the transition to a more current version of the application and the solution of common problems with the site.
How to update
Usually the App Store itself informs about the appearance of a new version of the application. If this does not happen, the user can independently check for updates and install them as follows:
- Open the Updates section of the App Store.
- Find Tik Tok in the list of installed programs.
- Click on the “Update” button.
It is recommended to regularly update TikTok as it fixes current bugs and expands the platform’s functionality. Without new versions, the social network will stop opening normally, it will slow down and crash.
Possible problems and solutions
When downloading, installing and using Tik Tok, you may encounter the following problems:
- Slow loading of the application. Most likely, this is due to the lack of an Internet connection or poor signal quality. Please change your network connection method and try to download the app again.
- Invalid Apple ID password. If you lose your password, you can use the convenient function to restore access to your account.
- Incompatible OS version. Only updating your smartphone will help here.
- Not enough space to download the application. To quickly free up memory on your smartphone, uninstall unused programs, and clean the “Gallery” of unnecessary photos and videos.
- I can’t log into Tik Tok. Perhaps it is a problem on the server itself or the account owner does not meet the age requirements of the application. In the latter case, the user should either refuse to register or deliberately indicate an inaccurate date of birth.
To solve more complex problems, you should contact the technical support of the social network.
In recent years, social networks have moved to a new format. If earlier on these sites there was a simple exchange of text messages, now separate projects are being created, the essence of which is to create photos or clips and exchange these materials with other users. Tik Tok is one such development. If this site is not to your liking, take a look at the musical.ly and LIKE applications – they are also available for the iPhone and iPad.